Dental Exams and Cleanings: What You Need to Know
Dentists recommend you go for regular dental examinations and cleanings after every three months. Many people fear making these dreaded visits. Some are afraid of the pain, some do not like the sound of the dentistry tools while others just want to save money. Many people do not see the numerous benefits that come with these procedure.
When you visit the dentist’s office for cleanings, the dentist will first carry out a dental examination. The sole aim of cleanings is to clean the tooth structures while dental exams aim at diagnosing the issues you might have.
Here is an in-depth view of what happens at each stage:
What toExpect During Dental Exams
The dentist may perform different examinations depending on your current situation. Here are the most common procedures you should expect:
- X-rays: They help detect bone loss, cysts, tumors and decay. Also, they help the dentists observe your tooth and root positions better.
- Examination of Existing Restorations: In case you have fillings, crowns or any other restorations, your dentists will have a look at them to ensure everything is in place. If these restorations need repairs or replacements, it will be noted.
- Oral Cancer Screening: The dentist observes your gums, throat, tongue, face, lips, necks and tissues to establish any oral cancer signs.
- Examining for Cavities:The doctor looks for any signs of tooth decay on each tooth surface.
- Gum Disease Examination: At the dentist’s office, your gums and bones around the teeth will be checked for signs of periodontal disease.
It is important to note that there may be additional steps involved if you come in in a lot of pain or have a history of a certain dental issue.
What toExpect During Cleanings
Teeth cleanings are carried out by a registered dental hygienist. Although you may undergo additional procedures if you have a specific dental problem, these are the standard procedures you should expect during your visit:
- Removal of plaque: Most people do not understand that plaque is a breeding ground for bacteria. Unremoved, the bacteria grows by consuming the food debris on teeth surfaces. After feeding, it releases toxins that cause an inflammation of your gums, resulting in periodontal disease. Because of its sticky and invisible nature, it is impossible to remove it completely without professional dental cleanings.
- Tartar Removal: Tartar can be found both below and above the gumline and only professional dental instruments can remove it. In essence, it is plaque that has hardened and has been bonded to the tooth.
- Polishing of Teeth: This is the final stage. In this step, the hygienist removed stains and plaque that were too stubborn for your routine brushing and flossing. Professional dental equipment are used for this purpose.
Benefits of Dental Cleanings
Dental cleanings can do several things for you:
- Prevents Cavities: Dental cleanings can remove plaque buildup, thus saving you from tooth decay.
- Prevents Tooth Loss:Gum disease is a major contributor to tooth loss in adults. It results from plaque buildup. Because professional cleanings can get at plaque, they could save you from tooth loss.
- Brightensyour Smile: Taking tea, wine, coffee or smoking tobacco could have a staining effect on your teeth. Dental cleanings remove stains from your teeth surfaces leaving you with white polished teeth and a resultantly brighter smile.
- Freshens your Breath: Maintaining good oral hygiene is key to preventing bad breath. Even so, dental cleanings are the best way to maintain a healthy odor-free mouth.
- Boosting your General Health: According to scientific research, a connection exists between your oral and general health. Getting professional cleaning services regularly reduces your risk of developing diseases like stroke and heart disease. During routine exams, your dentist may detect some conditions in their early stages before they become life-threatening.
- Saves you Money: Most dental plans have low to no copayments for these procedures. Taking advantage of these benefits will in the long run save you money by helping you take care of your dental health while avoiding extensive and costly procedures.
Finding theRight Dentist near You
If you are looking for dental exams and dental cleanings in San Antonio, TX, visit us at Evodent Dental. We offer dental exams and cleanings near you at a pocket-friendly price. Call us and book an appointment.